An old Irish saying ~ “That there are two types of people – The Irish and the ones that want to be Irish”.
Which one are you? Saint Patrick’s Day is just around the corner, are you going to be Irish for the day?
Why Green for Saint Patrick’s Day?
Saint Patrick’s Day didn’t always start out with the colour green. In the 17th Century it was blue. The colour was changed for many reasons. The first being that Ireland’s flag colour is green. Another reason is that when people think of Ireland, they think of lush green landscape. Ireland is also know as Emerald Isle for the same reason, lush green landscape. Green is also the colour of the shamrock, spring and the Chicago River. The Chicago River has been dyed green for the last 40 years just before the Saint Patrick’s Day. It may not be a reason for changing the colour but an interesting fact.
Are you going to being wearing some green? Or are you going to be pinched? Irish immigrants believed that wearing green maybe you invisible to the leprechauns. They would pinch anyone who weren’t wearing green to remind them that these leprechauns could pop out at any time. If you don’t want to wear a lot of green but worried about being pinched, here are some subtle things that you can do:
- Wear a green scarf
- Wear green jewelery
- Wear green on you socks or underwear ~ make sure you are aware that you may have to show it.
- Wear a green tie
- Wear a green undershirt
- Carry a green handkerchief.
You don’t want to wear green… or have no green clothing then you could always just carry around some green food or a drink. You could either have a Saint Patrick’s Day Milkshake or Hot Chocolate (recipe below). Either would be great and they are green.. Lois from Walking on Sunshine also did a great post on Green Foods. If you need more ideas on what to carry that is green check it out here.
- 1 cup milk (I used a combination of evaporated and skim milk)
- 2 tbsp white hot chocolate mix (I used Cocoa Amour)
- 4 square Vanilla Dream Ghirardelli Chocolate
- 2 tablespoons Creme De Menthe syrup
- 1 small mint leaf
- 2-3 drops green food colouring
- whipping cream
- mint leaves
- Andres creme de menthe thin
- Creme de menthe syrup
- Mix milk, hot chocolate mix, Vanilla Dream Chocolate, Cream De Menthe and mint leaf. Heat over medium heat until steaming. Add food colouring until you get the colour you want.
- Garnish with whip cream, drizzle small amount of creme de menthe over whip cream and place andre mint and mint leaves on side. Enjoy
- This had more of a vanilla flavour instead of mint, but still very good.