A wonderful crisp crusty crust with a soft chewy center.
- 7 to 71/4 cups all purpose flour (I used 6 cups – 3 white and 3 whole wheat)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon shortening (I used coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 1/2 cup water
- corn meal
- 1 egg white
- In large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour and 2 packages yeast.
- Heat water, sugar, salt and shortening til warm (115-120 degrees). Stirring to melt the shortening.
- Add to dry mixture and beat at low speed with electric mixer using dough hook for 1/2 minute, scraping bowl.
- Continue to beat on high for adding the remaining flour until you have a soft dough. Continue to mix until dough is soft and smooth about 8 minutes
- Take out of bowl and knead on flour surface till smooth ~ (as I used my dough hooks on my kitchen aide I only kneaded for about a minute).
- Shape in ball. Place in a greased bowl and turn once. (grease with small amount of shortening)
- Cover and let rise until dough doubles, about 1 1/2 hours.
- After dough rises to double the size, punch down and divide into two. Let dough sit 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough to 15 X12 inch rectangle. Roll up tight from long sides, seal well and fold ends under.
- Place onto greased baking sheet that is sprinkled with corn meal, seam side down.
- Gash tops diagonally ever 2.5 inches, 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep.
- Beat egg white til foamy, add 1 tbsp of water.
- Brush top and sides of bread with egg white (save rest for later).
- Cover and let rise until double in size (about 1 hour)
- Bake in 375 degree oven until lightly brown about 20 minutes.
- Take out of oven and brush with remaining frothy egg white.
- Bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet and cool.
- This recipe can be made with out a dough hook. If you don’t have a dough hook on your mixer, add the remaining flour by hand and knead for 10 -12 minutes until dough is smooth.