Happy Easter! I hope everyone has a wonderful day regardless of their beliefs. One thing many of us will realize by then end of the day, is that we bought too much Easter candy. So, what are you going to do with it. Lets face it, you can only eat so many Peeps, jelly beans, and candy eggs before you need a break.
First, let me say that there are lots of recipes out there that use prepared Easter candy as an ingredient, so if the S’more’s Peeps Brownies below don’t interest you, and you want an actual recipe, then I’m sure you can find one. That being said, almost any cookie, brownie, sweet snack mix, etc. can be converted to use up leftover Easter candy… or Christmas Candy, Halloween Candy, Valentines Day Candy… you get the idea. It is especially easy if the recipe already calls for some sort of add-in like nuts or chocolate chips. Simply omit the original add-in and substitute the candy either whole if it small like jelly beans or m & m’s or chopped it is something larger.
This year, my husband brought me home Peeps – two boxes of Peeps. Now, I think they are super cute and will eat a few, but two whole boxes is really more sugar than I need. Now with my daughter being home for Easter, this was the perfect time to make a dessert, so combine the two, and I came up with s’more Peeps brownies – graham cracker crust, brownies in the middle, and melted Peeps on top. Let me tell you, these are a messy thing. When you go to cut them, marshmallow control is quite the challenge, but the way they taste is definitely worth it! This recipe only makes an 8-inch square pan, but feel free to double it and get the full 9″ by 13″. You can also substitute Peeps for other holidays or regular marshmallows.
S’more Peeps Brownies
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, divided
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 20 Peeps (I used chicks.)
- Grease an 8″ by 8″ baking pan or dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter.
- Stir together butter and graham cracker crumbs.
- Press into the bottom of prepared pan.
- Melt remaining butter and chocolate together in a medium sauce pan.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla and stir until well combined.
- Add flour and stir vigorously until well combined.
- Pour over graham cracker crumbs.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until brownies are almost set.
- Arrange Peeps over brownies.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes or until Peeps are melted and beginning to brown.
- The Peeps will be very puffy when you first take them, out but they will fall in a few minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Serving Size: 9
- Calories: 351
- Sugar: 26
- Sodium: 66
- Fat: 21
- Saturated Fat: 13
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 37
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 83