Did you know that April is National Soyfoods Month? We decided to join the Soyfoods Association of North America in making some #SoySwaps to one of our favorite recipes. For this sponsored challenge, I chose to remake one of our easy breakfast recipes into Vegetarian Sausage and Gravy Pot Pie!
The swaps were super easy in this recipe. Instead of regular sausage, I opted for Morningstar Soy Sausage and instead of milk or cream, I chose to sub in Silk Light Soy Milk. Both of these products are easy to find in the market. Typically you’ll find the Morningstar products in the frozen meatless section and the Silk Soy Milk along side the regular milk in the cooler. If your local market has a health foods section, they may be found there. I might mention the prices on these products are very reasonable as well and very comparable to the non-soy varieties!
The REAL challenge was to see if anyone would notice that I subbed in Soy. (spoiler alert… we had none leftover!)
To make preparation easier, I used ready made pie crusts and frozen cubed Potatoes O’Brien. I’m all about easy!
An easy Vegetarian alternative for a hearty breakfast
- 2 Ready Made Pie Crusts
- 6 Morningstar Vegetarian Sausage Patties
- 2 TBSP Butter
- 2 Cups Frozen Cubed Potatoes O’Brien
- 2 Cups Light Soy Milk
- 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Seasoning Salt
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat
- Add sausage and cook until tender
- Chop up sausage into crumbles
- Add potatoes and sausage crumbles into pie crust
- In a bowl, add soy milk, red pepper, seasoning salt and flour. Whisk.
- Pour milk mixture over potatoes and sausage into pie crust being careful not to overflow edges. discard extra.
- Place second pie crust over top and crimp edges to seal.
- Place foil over edges of crust to avoid overcooking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and remove foil from crust.
- Place back in oven and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
- Remove and let sit for 5-15 minutes to let set.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 897
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 1031
- Fat: 58
- Saturated Fat: 18
- Unsaturated Fat: 36
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 71
- Protein: 23
- Cholesterol: 67
See how easy this recipe is!
Sausage and Gravy
So easy and SO delicious. Nobody could tell the difference!
How do YOU make Soy Swaps?
Learn more about Soy and find more recipes: Soyfoods