Last year I traveled to San Antonio, TX for work and happened upon a great restaurant called Whiskey Cake. Whiskey Cake serves “farm to kitchen” dishes and cocktails and all recipes from the kitchen to the bar are made from scratch. They even have a garden outside the restaurant and they use the food they grow in their dishes and drinks! How cool is that?!
While at the restaurant I tried one of their signature cocktails called a Guava Gimlet and it was so good I decided to make my own version at home! This cocktail is a little sweet and a little tangy so it has just the right balance, and it’s easy to make! I didn’t make my guava juice from scratch, but you could certainly juice guava to make fresh juice and it would be even better! Cheers!
- 2 ounces of good quality vodka
- 1 ounce of guava juice or guava nectar
- 1 ounce of grapefruit juice
- Juice of one lime wedge
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake to combine and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a lime wedge or twist if desired
- If you like your cocktails a little sweeter you can add a splash of simple syrup. Simple syrup is equal parts sugar and water. When I make simple syrup I boil a cup of sugar and a cup of water for five minutes and allow to cool completely before using.