I can’t believe summer is almost over. And, that means that very soon my favorite vegetable, summer squash, will not be readily available. With that in mind, I plan to eat as much of it as possible as long as I can still find it fresh. This stuffed summer squash is one of my favorite ways to use it. And, this recipe is low-carb, which is something difficult to find in stuffed anything.Print
- 4 large summer or yellow squash
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- garnish: chives, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise. Place cut side down in a glass baking dish. Pour a little water in the dish (just enough to cover the bottom). Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and allow to cool enough to touch – Three guesses why I included the cooling step!
- Scrap seeds and flesh from the inside of the squash with a spoon.
- Stir remaining ingredients except chive into the squash seeds and flesh.
- Pour the water out of the baking dish and put the squash back in it – this time cut side up.
- Stuff with sour cream mixture.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- Sprinkle chives on top and serve.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 251
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 390
- Fat: 21
- Saturated Fat: 11
- Unsaturated Fat: 8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Protein: 11
- Cholesterol: 54