I don’t know about where you are, but strawberries have just come into season this year in Georgia. And, probably my favorite thing to do with them is to make strawberry shortcake.
This recipe is simple and delicious. I know there is always a debate over whether to use biscuits or actual cake. Well, this recipe is the best of both worlds. It has a light biscuity (not a word, I know) texture, but is sweet like cake. Well, maybe not quite as sweet as cake, but just the perfect amount of sweetness. This is one of those desserts that as soon as you are finished, you wish you had another! Hope you enjoy!
Please note that this recipe calls for self-rising flour, which is definitely not the same as all-purpose. If all you have is all-purpose, add 2 1/2 tsps. baking powder and 1/2 tsp. salt.Print
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 13
- Total Time: 23
- 2 cups self-rising flour, plus more for flouring surface
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 3/4 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 lb. strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 3 Tbsp. confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Stir together flour and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Pour 1 1/4 cups heavy cream over flour mixture.
- Stir together until it makes a sticky dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle a little flour over the top of the dough. Fold the dough over itself, adding a little flour as you go until the dough no longer sticks to your hands.
- Pat to 1 inch thickness and cut into 6 pieces using a 3 inch round cutter. Place on prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 to 13 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining sugar to the sliced berries. Stir occasionally to release juices.
- After biscuits have cooled, whip cream using the whisk attachment of an electric mixer. When soft peaks form, begin slowly adding the confectioners’ sugar. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble shortcakes, split biscuits, spoon strawberries and whipped cream over bottom half and top with top half.
- Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 3
- Calories: 1254
- Sugar: 48
- Sodium: 1143
- Fat: 82
- Saturated Fat: 50
- Unsaturated Fat: 27
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 120
- Protein: 14
- Cholesterol: 299