Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers out there. I will be back next week with more budget friendly meals, but this week I would like to share with you a recipe for strawberry bars. I first made them last year. They are basically the traditional lemon bars made with strawberries instead. They were a huge hit with everyone who tried them, so I wanted to share them again during strawberry season.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 4 cups strawberry puree (about 2 lbs of berries pureed in a food processor
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a parchment lined 9″ by 13″ baking pan. Mix all ingredients of the crust together with an electric mixer. Press mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for approximately 18 minutes or until just slightly golden.
- After pureeing the strawberries, press the through a fine mesh sieve. This will remove a lot of seeds, but it will not remove all of them, and that is fine. The final product will not seem seedy. In an electric mixer on low, using the whisk attachment, mix together strawberries and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the salt and baking powder an mix for just a few seconds to evenly distribute and then add the flour. Mix thoroughly on medium until smooth. Pour over the crust. Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the strawberry mixture is just set. Allow to cool completely before cutting.