- 2 1/2 cups cornmeal (I use white if I can find it.)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsps. salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsps. butter or oil for greasing the pan (I prefer butter.)
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees and place your iron skillet inside for about ten to get hot while you make the batter.
- Whisk together cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Add remaining ingredients (except the butter or oil for greasing the pan) and stir until well combined.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and reduce the oven’s temperature to 450 degrees. Put the butter or oil in the pan and swirl it around to to cover the bottom being careful not to burn yourself. The iron skillet is very hot!
- Pour the batter into the skillet and return to the oven.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.