Everyone loves slow cooker recipes…what’s not to love? Nothing is better than throwing a few items into a crock pot in the morning before you go to work, and knowing that you will have an effort-free meal waiting for you when you get home. My family has meals from a slow cooker at least once a week, sometimes more. This recipe for slow cooker chicken tacos is one of our favorites because it’s easy and tasty! It also makes for great leftovers. We’ll usually have tacos the first night and then make taco salad the next day with the leftovers.
There are other popular crock pot chicken taco recipes that use taco seasoning but I prefer to use my own seasonings so I can control the contents and the sodium. Plus, I think it tastes better anyway!
- 6 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 16 Oz jar of salsa, whatever kind you like
- 1 Can of Ro-Tel
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon coriander
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper, plus extra for seasoning the chicken
- Salt, to taste
- Mix all ingredients together in your crock pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Remove the chicken from the crock pot and shred it using two forks (it should pull apart very easily). Place the shredded chicken back in the crock pot and serve with your favorite taco condiments!
- Sometimes I also like to add a little beer to the crock pot-1/2 to full bottle of a darker beer or a Mexican beer like Negro Modelo; it adds a little extra flavor!