To me and my family, these cookies have just about the perfect base for anything. You could put in chocolate, nuts, dried fruit – pretty much any cookie add-in. But, with Independence Day just around the corner, I chose to make red, white, and blue cookies. I know M&M makes red, white, and blue M&Ms, but when I made these, I couldn’t find them, so I made these using some similar candies I found at a local store. I have to say though, if you can find the M&Ms, I think they would be less expensive. And, you could make these with any color for any occasion.
Red, White, and Blue Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsps. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsps. salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup candy coated chocolate pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two large cookie sheets with parchment.
- Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add salt and baking soda and mix for one minute.
- Add flour and mix until well combined.
- Fold in candy coated chocolate pieces being careful not to break them.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop by rounded scoops onto prepared cookie sheets. Do not flatten.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until golden brown and almost set. I bake mine one sheet at a time.