A delicious tender pot roast made in the slow cooker
Ingredients for the Pot Roast
- 1 rump roast
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbs. oil
- 2 cubes of beef bouillon, I always use Knorr brand
- 2 cups of water
Ingredients for the Gravy
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 2 Tbs. flour
- 2 cups of broth, from the crock pot
- In a heavy pan, on the STOVE top, brown your rump roast in the two tablespoons of oil, seasoning all sides with salt and pepper.
- Once the rump roast has been browned on all sides, transfer it to the slow cooker, along with the two beef bouillon cubes and 2 cups of water.
- Put your slow cooker on either LOW or HIGH and cook your pot roast until you can stick a knife into the center of the roast EASILY; about 6 to 8 hours on LOW or 4 to 6 hours on HIGH.
- Remove the roast to a cutting board and cover with foil while we make the gravy.
- STRAIN the broth from the slow cooker, you should have about 2 cups; we need this to make the gravy.
Making the Gravy
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Once completely melted, add 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Cook the flour in the butter for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Now, add 2 cups of the strained broth your roast was cooking in, reserving any extra, or adding water to increase the broth to 2 cups if necessary.
- Stirring constantly, cook until your gravy thickens.