I had never made meringue kisses before, I always thought that they were too hard or they wouldn’t work. Before Christmas I had seen them on Facebook and the meringue surrounded the kisses… They looked wonderful, and I always have Hershey Kisses in the house of some kind of flavour. So I decided to make them for Christmas as I had some Hershey Peppermint Kisses. Well, lo and behold I couldn’t find them on facebook anymore and I didn’t pin them… I pin everything but these I didn’t. So I had to find a recipe for meringue. I found a great recipe from King Arthur Flour called Angel Kisses.
A light cookie made from meringue with a surprise. Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour: Angel Kisses
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tarter
- dash of salt
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp sugar
- Hershey Kisses – I used candy cane
- In large mixing bowl, add egg whites, cream of tarter and salt. Beat on high until peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, continue to beat until mixture is stiff and glossy
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place Hershey kisses about 2 inches apart.
- Pipe meringue around kisses with pastry bag
- Bake in preheated oven 200 degree oven. Bake for 1½ hours.
- Once baked you could bring out and sprinkle with white glitter or candy cane dust, they are still sticky so glitter will stick.
- Return back to the turned oven and leave them until they are completely cool at least 3 hours or overnight.
I was able to make 21 meringue kisses with this recipe, but as this was the first time I had made them, some of the meringue was piped out fairly large. I went around each kiss twice with a small amount for the peak at the top. Another batch I added some candy cane dust to the meringue mixture and used chocolate Hershey Kisses.
I think that these would be great with different flavours of Hershey Kisses and you could always change the colour of the meringue by added a drop or two of food colouring.
I am envisioning them used for a little girl’s birthday party, or a valentine’s party or even with Coconut Hershey Kisses for Easter. The possibilities are endless. Please let me know what flavours and types of Hershey Kisses you would use.
This recipe was originally posted on This and That ~ Candy Cane Meringue Kisses.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Meringues Recipe : Gale Gand : Recipes : Food Network (cheerdujour.wordpress.com)