My family and I relocated to Phoenix, AZ several years ago. The weather is beautiful 9 months out of the year! But, the other three months…well….it’s hot. Really hot. I mean, really, really hot. We’ve adjusted to the heat over the last two years, but no matter how adjusted we are, 118 degrees is stifling.
There is a payoff for heat endurance. In December, when it’s supposed to be cold, rainy and grey(at least that’s what it was like in my home town), I’m wearing flip-flops and short sleeved shirts as I enjoy 75 degree weather. But although I know the blistering heat is reaching it’s yearly end and beautiful weather awaits, a late summer meltdown occurs. It’s happened every year since we’ve been here. I reach a point at which my brain can no longer bear the sizzling heat, and I enter into a heat-induced rage.
Several of my friends that have moved here to Arizona also experience such a meltdown. But we decided to celebrate our meltdown, rather than lamenting it. There’s nothing we can do about the heat, so why not embrace it? So, to celebrate our love/hate relationship with the desert sun, we have a yearly Summer Meltdown Party.
This salad got its name because of the day it was made, and it’s a great way to chill out after a meltdown. Enjoy!Print
A perfect post summer meltdown macaroni salad!
- 1 Package of Small Salad Macaroni or Elbow Macaroni-I prefer salad macaroni
- 2 Hardboiled Eggs, chopped,
- 2 Stalks Celery, Chopped
- 1 Carrot, Shredded
- 1 Small Onion or 1/2 Large Onion, Minced
- 3/4 Cup Frozen Peas, Thawed
- 1 Small Can Sliced Olives (not everyone likes olives so I don’t always add it)
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise (preferably best foods)
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup White Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Dill Pickle Relish
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- 1 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- About 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- Additional Salt and Pepper, to Taste
- Fresh or Dried Dill for Garnish
- This is a great recipe to double up for large parties or if you want leftovers.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 11
- Sodium: 777
- Fat: 29
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Unsaturated Fat: 24
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 15
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 77