When I started eating more of a vegetarian diet due to health reasons, one food I loved to experiment with is tofu. It truly does give a close “meat” texture when using in recipes and can take on many different flavors. For a simple appetizer, I created this recipe for vegetarian sesame bacon fried tofu to replace the traditional BBQ Pork appetizer when we are eating an Asian inspired dinner. The sesame gives you a nutty flavor and the “bacon” bits give you a bit of smoke. All together with some hot mustard, you have a great tasting treat.
This recipe is simple and fast and has a real depth of flavors. Serve it with a side of stir fry for an amazing Meatless Monday meal!
Vegetarian Sesame Bacon Fried Tofu
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 15
- 1 Block Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 C. Egg Beaters
- 1/2 C. Unsweetened Soy Milk
- 1/4 C. Beef Flavored Seasoning
- 1 C. Panko Crumbs
- 2/3 C. Vegan Imitation Bacon Bits
- 1/4 C. Sesame Seeds
- Hot Mustard
- Drain and dry tofu, then slice in thin pieces (approx 1/4″ thick).
- Mix in shallow pan: egg beaters, soy milk and beef flavored seasoning.
- Place sliced tofu into egg mixture and allow to marinate for approximately 30 minutes.
- Mix together in shallow pan: panko crumbs, bacon bits and sesame seeds.
- crush the mixture to break into smaller crumbs.
- Place marinated tofu pieces in crumb mixture and turn until well coated.
- Fry in shallow canola oil until browned. Approximately 3 minutes each side.
- Serve with Hot Mustard and additional sesame seeds. YUMMY!
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 450
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 765
- Fat: 23
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 17
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 32
- Protein: 31
- Cholesterol: 226
Find more tofu recipes here on Daily Dish Magazine:
And these tofu round-ups!
What’s YOUR favorite Tofu Recipe?