One of our favorite ways to have a hearty vegan meal is with this simple vegan eggplant lasagna recipe. Well, it’s not a “traditional” lasagna, some may call it more of a casserole, I just call it delicious!
In this dish, we slice and use the eggplant as noodles. I like coat them with breadcrumbs and panko and bake them first to give them a meaty texture and more flavor. We then just layer up some spaghetti sauce and vegan cheese and bake it again!
This is VERY basic and can be built upon for so many variations. If it weren’t for my picky eaters I’d add in some zucchini, carrots, artichoke, red peppers, and so on!
This dish can also be made even more amazing by using a homemade fresh tomato pasta sauce recipe prepared ahead of time!
- 1 Medium Eggplant
- 1/2 C. Soy Milk
- 2 C. Italian Bread Crumbs (wheat if you can find it)
- 1 C. Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 Jar Spaghetti Sauce
- 1C. Daiya Vegan Cheddar Cheese
- 1C. Daiya Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- Slice Eggplant lengthwise to form 1/4″ thin “lasagna noodles”
- Place soy milk in shallow dish
- Mix bread crumbs and panko in another shallow dish
- Dip Eggplant into egg mixture and then transfer to crumbs to coat.
- Place on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 min. on each side.
- When Eggplant is tender and browned it is ready for layering.
- Place a small amount of sauce at base of 8×8 inch baking dish.
- Lay down first layer of “noodles” top with spaghetti sauce and 1/4 c. of each cheese.
- Continue to layer ending with sauce and cheese on top.
- Bake again for 30 minutes until cooked through
- I kept this recipe very basic so the kids will enjoy it as well. I would suggest for those interested in a more complex dish you get creative and add mushrooms, spinach, sliced carrots and zucchini!
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 379
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 954
- Fat: 10
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 53
- Protein: 19
- Cholesterol: 1
What would YOU add to your layered eggplant lasagna?
Need MORE Eggplant Recipes?
Find more Eggplant Video Recipes
on CookNGuide.com by Daily Dish Magazine