I love anything prepared “Buffalo Style”, so this was my inspiration for the next recipe in the series on Low Sugar Living: Recipes with Less Sugar and Carbohydrates. Buffalo Style Lettuce Wraps are lower in carbs since there are no tortillas or buns, and ground turkey or chicken is low in fat and high in protein.
The Low Sugar Living Series was created as a way to give my dad new ideas for recipes to manage his diabetes by reducing sugar and carbohydrates in his diet, but these recipes are great for anyone looking to eat healthier but still have flavorful, filling meals.
Buffalo Style Lettuce Wraps
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- One yellow onion, chopped
- Two cloves of garlic, minced
- Two celery ribs, chopped
- One carrot, peeled and chopped
- One pound of ground turkey or chicken-I used turkey because that’s what I had on hand, but ground chicken would work great too.
- 1 Cup of Buffalo Wing Sauce (I use Frank’s)
- Large leaves of lettuce for wraps. I used iceberg because it makes a good lettuce wrap, but green leaf lettuce would have more vitamins and nutrients.
- Optional: Crumbled Bleu Cheese or shredded Mozzarella
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add ground turkey or chicken and cook through. Once meat is nearly cooked, add the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Once the vegetables are tender, add the Buffalo Wing Sauce and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for five minutes.
- While the meat simmers, tear lettuce into large peices, almost the size of a corn tortilla. You want lettuce big enough to fit a scoop of meat.
- Scoop a few large spoonfuls of meat onto the lettuce and sprinkle crumbled Bleu Cheese or shredded Mozzarella cheese on top. The lettuce takes the place of a tortilla or bun, so you can just wrap the lettuce around the meat and enjoy!
- Cheese is not pictured in the photo above, but can be added as an optional topping.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 590
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 999
- Fat: 39
- Saturated Fat: 16
- Unsaturated Fat: 19
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 15
- Protein: 47
- Cholesterol: 171