I love licorice. Our local dairy even puts it in their ice cream! I admit I’ve never tried to make that ice cream, probably because they do such a good job!
This plant grows wild in parts of Europe and Asia. I need to travel more often.
Here are some facts about licorice.
- This herb has been used for centuries as a cure for upset stomach ache and mouth ulcers.
- Licorice and anise are very similar in taste and often interchanged in recipes.
- The root of the plant is ground or pelleted. It can be used whole or chipped as well.
- It is 50 times sweeter than sugar.
- Popular ways to enjoy the taste are in candy form, baked goods and teas.
- This plant has a chemical ingredient that helps reduce phlegm.
- Popular flavored spirits and liqueur like Pernod, Ouzo, Sambucca and Arak are actually flavored with anise.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy licorice?