We all love to take our kids out to “Trick-or-Treat” right?
They are so excited and ready to run, and well, for me that leads to anxiety.
I mean really… hyped up kids all dressed in costumes running around in the streets in the dark! If your kids are a bit older, you know what I mean.
So every year, we go through a simple list of easy things to help keep the kids safe while they are out gathering their goodies.
1. Buddy System-Go with a group and make sure everyone has a partner
2. Reflective Tape/Glow Necklaces-Head to the Dollar Store and load up on glow necklaces and bracelets and make your kids highly visible.
3. Flashlights-Arm them with flashlights
4. Whistle-Hang a whistle around their neck, even if they blow it the entire time, at least you know where they are.
5. Know your route-plan ahead so if your kids get ahead of you, you are all headed the same direction.
6. Know your neighborhood-Only visit neighborhoods you are familiar with and trust.
7. Set up a meeting spot-Know where you are going to end if you get separated.
8. Cell Phone-Even if you have to borrow one, give your kid a cell phone in to contact you if you get separated or they need something urgent.
9. Think of Alternative Venues-If you don’t have a safe place to visit, consider community events or daytime events.
10. Wear good shoes-Your kids are going to run, make sure they have on good tennis shoes for movin’ fast and pin up any long, dragging articles of clothing.
These are just a few tips that we live by, but the BIGGEST tip I have is SUPERVISION! Never just set them loose on their own. Always be one step behind if you can’t keep up!
Happy Halloween and Safe Trick-or-Treating!