Kale Shiitake Mushroom Saute
One of the first vegetables I begin craving when the weather starts to cool off is kale. I made this kale shiitake mushroom saute for my husband and myself as a side to salmon, and it was delicious. It should probably really served four, but we ate it all. I do admit that all we had was it and the salmon and a salad, so we really didn’t overeat, but it was definitely yummy enough for seconds and thirds.
I came up with this recipe after having my son’s birthday party and feeling like I needed to eat something healthy after pizza and cake and then leftover pizza and cake. The mushrooms are sauteed with garlic and walnuts in olive and then the kale is added, so this dish not only tastes great, but is also full of good for you ingredients. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 Tbsps. olive oil
- 4 oz. shiitake mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsps. walnuts, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 12 oz. kale, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- Add mushrooms and walnuts and cooking stirring constantly until walnuts become fragrant.
- Add garlic and cook about another minute or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add 1 cup water. Then add kale a little at a time allowing it to wilt a bit as you go, so that you can get it all in the pan.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste.