Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers out there! I decided to forego the healthy post this week in honor of Father’s Day and post one of my father’s favorite desserts. It is a southern style strawberry cake. It is one of those doctored cake mix recipes. As much as I try to stay away from those, some are just really good. No matter how I try to make a strawberry cake without the mix, my dad still likes this one the best.
I am not sure of the original origin of this recipe. It seems that I have seen it in many places. If anyone knows the original origin, please let me know, so that I can give credit to that person.
- 1 box white cake mix (I used Pillsbury.)
- 3 eggs
- 1 3oz box strawberry jello
- 1 cup frozen slice strawberries, thawed, drained and juice reserved
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 lbs. confectioners’ sugar
- reserved strawberry juice (about 1/2 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two 9 inch cake pans with parchment and grease and flour them.
- With an electric mixer, mix cake mix and eggs, adding eggs one at a time and beating well after each addition.
- Add the jello, strawberries, canola oil, and water. Mix until well combined.
- Divide evenly into the cake pans and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes in the pans.
- Invert onto wire racks, remove parchment, and cool completely before frosting.
- Beat together butter and confectioners’ sugar with an electric mixer.
- Beat in enough strawberry juice to make frosting spreadable. I use about 1/2 cup of juice.
- Frost cake between layers and on sides and top. Enjoy!