I love Ro-Tel. I wasn’t introduced to Ro-Tel until I moved to Arizona, because for some reason beyond my comprehension Ro-Tel wasn’t big where I lived before. Ro-Tel can be used in just about any recipe and it will be fantastic; I’ve added Ro-Tel to Italian recipes, Mexican recipes, Macaroni and Cheese…you name it. But Ro-Tel’s famous combination is with Velveeta cheese. I try not to eat Velveeta too often because it has a bazillion calories and grams of fat, but every once in awhile you just gotta have some chips and cheese, especially when you’re watching the big game.
I’m perfectly fine with throwing a can of Ro-Tel with some Velveeta and calling it a day, but I like to add a few ingredients to my chips and cheese to spice it up a bit. This is a great staple snack for your Super Bowl party!
Game Day Snacks: Chips and Cheese!
- Yield: 8-10 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- One 32 ounce container of Velveeta
- One can of Ro-Tel: I use the hot version but there are many varietals; use your favorite!
- 2 Jalapenos, diced. I like mine hot, so I don’t de-seed them, but if you prefer milder dip, de-seed one or both.
- 2–3 Roma tomatoes, diced. Even though the Ro-Tel is tomatoes, I like to add fresh tomatoes for texture and a little extra flavor and color.
- 1/2 Cup (a good sized handful) of cilantro, chopped
- 5–6 Green onions, diced
- Mix together the Velveeta and Ro-Tel in a slow cooker on low heat and allow the Velveeta to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Once the Velveeta has melted, add the jalapenos, tomatoes, cilantro and green onion and stir to combine. Allow the dip to heat with the fresh ingredients for at least 20-30 minutes before serving.