I’m thrilled to say that as I type this post, I am watching pre-season NFL Football!!! I know it’s only pre-season, but the thought of seeing Football on my TV again makes me giddy! I absolutely love NFL football, even more so now that I live in the desert, as Football season marks the beginning of the end of summer, and beautiful Arizona weather awaits.
With the onset of the most wonderful time of the year comes some of my favorite recipes…game day food!!! I love anything “buffalo style” and this is one of my favorite Game Day Recipes!
Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
- 12 Flour tortillas (you may use less, depending on how fat you stuff ‘em)
- 1 Pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I just poached mine in boiling water, then shredded it when it was cool)
- 1/2 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 Carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Clove garlic, minced or grated
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
- 8 Ounces of cream cheese, softened. I actually used reduced fat cream cheese and it tasted great; I thought the reduced fat cream cheese would lighten it up a bit, or at least make me feel better about stuffing my face with taquitos! 🙂
- 2/3 Cup Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce (not the hot sauce-be sure to get the wing sauce, it’s thicker)
- 2/3 Cup milk
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray
- About 2 cups shredded Mozzarella
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted, add the onion, celery, carrots and garlic and saute until the vegetables are tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add the shredded chicken to the skillet and stir to combine and allow the chicken to cook with the vegetables for a minute or two.
- Add the cream cheese and stir to combine until the cream cheese has melted. Stir in the Frank’s Wing Sauce and milk and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- To make the taquitos, place a tortilla on a plate and place about 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on the bottom 1/3 of the tortilla, then sprinkle a little Mozzarella (a tablespoon or so). Roll the tortilla up tightly and place on the baking sheet face down. I also sprayed a little cooking spray at the end of the rolled up tortilla to help hold it in place. Continue until you have used all of the mixture. Make sure your taquitos aren’t touching, and spray them with a little cooking spray.
- Place the taquitos in the oven for 20 minutes or until they are browned and crisp on the outside. Turn the taquitos after 10 minutes to ensure they are browned on all sides.
- Serve with Blue Cheese or Ranch Dressing…or, just eat ‘em plain!!