I have Super Bowl on the brain this week, so all I can think about is football and Game Day food! I like this recipe because the taquitos are crunchy, but baked instead of fried, so it’s not quite as bad for you! It’s also a great Game Day snack because you can make the chicken mixture ahead of time and just roll them up and bake them for the big game!
Baked Chicken Taquitos
Adapted from a Recipe from Very Culinary
Game Day Recipes: Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Snacks, Appetizers, Sides
- Cuisine: American/Mexican
- 3–4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (enough for 2 cups of shredded chicken)
- 1 Can of your favorite beer (this will be used to cook the chicken; if you’d prefer not to use beer you can just use water.
- 4 Oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 Cup of red salsa
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- About 1/4 cup of cilantro, diced (I used a good sized handful, so I didn’t measure)
- 2 Scallions, chopped
- 1 Cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon onion powder
- 12 Soft taco sized flour tortillas
- Pre–heat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and pour the beer (or water) over the top. Pour enough to cover the chicken about half way. Cover the chicken and allow it to simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 25-30 minutes. Turn the chicken once while it’s cooking, and add more liquid if needed.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the skillet. When the chicken has cooled enough to handle, shred the chicken with two forks.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients (except tortillas). Add the shredded chicken and stir to combine.
- Now it’s time to prepare the taquitos! Place about 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixtures onto the lower 1/3 section of the tortilla, and roll the tortilla as tightly as you can. You may want to heat tortillas for 20 seconds or so to soften them if necessary. I bought Mission Tortillas and they were really soft, so I didn’t need to warm them up.
- Place the rolled tortillas seam side down on a baking sheet, and spray a little cooking spray over the top. Place them in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the taquitos are golden. Turn the taquitos 1/2 way through cooking.
- You can serve these with just about anything; salsa, sour cream, guacamole, or Ranch dressing.