This is a great dinner for anyone who is busy and doesn’t really have time to cook, but prefers to have really good home cooked food. As a full time employee, mom, and blogger it is something I definitely struggle with. You can put together the main ingredients in just a few minutes on a weekend. And, then on cooking day, dump it in the pot, and it will be almost ready when you get home. Even the cooking when you get home takes minimal effort.
I first made this recipe for my own blog, From Calculus to Cupcakes, and it was good the first time, but not perfect, so you are getting the better, updated version here at Foodie Friends Friday Daily Dish. The recipe on my own blog was an adaptation of this recipe from Curry Chicken at Mama and Baby Love. This version suits my tastes much better, but you can adapt it how ever you like. I really just changed the vegetables, so you could easily swap out your favorites.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup curry powder
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds (about 4) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz. frozen carrots
- 8 oz. frozen peas
- cooked rice for serving
- optional for serving (raisins, peanuts, shredded coconut, chutney)
- Put flour, curry powder, chicken, onion, and garlic into a gallon sized zip lock bag.
- Shake to evenly distribute.
- To cook, let thaw for about a half an hour so that you can get it into the crock pot. Empty the bag into the pot, pour 1 cup water over the chicken, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove chicken and chop.
- Return chicken to the pot, add the peas and carrots, and cook on high for an additional 45 minutes.
- While the peas and carrots are cooking, cook the rice according to package directions.
- Serve over rice and garnish with peanuts, raisins, chutney, and coconut if desired.