These fajita rice bowls are one of my favorite things that I have made lately. They are just so yummy – just like eating fajitas, without all the messy drippy tortillas. And, they are fairly healthy served over brown rice. Of course, you could use white rice, but we are trying to avoid the white kind, and the brown was just delicious. To make it even healthier, you could use chicken or shrimp. My husband is on a physician directed diet for his diabetes and is only allowed red meat once a week, which is not the norm for him. He has been twelve days without any, so the beef was a real treat. And, I have to say that even though I am more likely to order chicken fajitas in a restaurant, I don’t think these could have been any better. I really wanted to eat about twice as much as I could hold!
As far as the recipe goes, I am going to give you the ingredients and amounts I used, but you could easily choose more or different vegetables or meats. I also used a large jalapeno, seeds and all, which I thought was just wonderful, but it definitely had some heat. So, if you prefer less or no heat, leave it out, seed it, or reduce the amount.
Fajita Rice Bowls
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsps. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsps. vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsps. cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. Ancho pepper
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs. flank steak
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsps. olive oil
- 2 Tbsps. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 servings brown rice, cooked according to package directions
- sour cream
- more lime for squeezing over the top
- Stir together all marinade ingredients until well combined.
- Pour over steak and refrigerate for two hours.
- Grill steak over medium high heat about three minutes on each side or until it reaches your desired doneness. We like ours medium rare, so you may need to cook it longer if you don't or if your piece of meat is thicker than ours was.
- Saute vegetables in olive oil until tender.
- Season vegetables to taste with salt and pepper.
- Squeeze lime juice over vegetables and toss to coat.
- To serve, layer rice, vegetables, and steak in a bowl.
- Top with any or all of the serving toppings.