Eggplant fries are one of the delicacies of summer. They have been super trendy over the last few years, but I have eaten them my whole life. My parents used to cut the eggplant into rounds instead of fries, but they taste just the same. If you have never tried them, you really must. They are just delicious and are a great way to get kids to eat eggplant!
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 tps. salt plus more to prepare eggplant
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- canola oil for frying
- Peel eggplants and cut into thick cut fry sized pieces.
- Sprinkle with salt and allow to sit for 30 minutes. This will remove any bitterness. The eggplant may turn slightly dark in places, but that is ok.
- Rinse and drain eggplant, but don't dry it. It needs to be slightly wet for the cornmeal mixture to stick.
- Stir together cornmeal, flour, and 1 tsp. salt.
- Toss eggplant in cornmeal mixture until coated.
- Heat oil to 1/2 inch depth in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Fry eggplant in batches, turning occasionally until golden brown on all sides.
- Drain on paper towel lined plates.