- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 package yeast
- 3 oz unsalted butter, melted
- 2 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 4 ½– 5 ½ cups flour (all purpose)
- Vegetable oil
- Water (about 3 quarts)
- ⅓ cup baking soda
- 1 egg white
- Coarse sea salt or pretzel salt
- Combine the warm water, sugar, yeast and butter in a bowl. Mix gently and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and flour and mix.
- Knead the dough, adding additional flour as needed. You will know it is fully kneaded when it is smooth.
- Oil a bowl and place the dough inside. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot to rise for about 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 425. In a large pot, boil the water and add baking soda. Be careful that it doesn’t boil over!
- Remove the dough from the bowl and divide into 6 equal pieces. Roll them out like a snake or a rope. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Prepare your baking pan with cooking spray or with parchment paper.
- Drop in some pretzel bites into the boiling water/baking soda mixture for about 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on your baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the pretzel bites with pretzel salt. (Or if you wish, cinnamon sugar!)
- Brush the bites with egg wash.
- Bake the pretzels for 15-16 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy with a cheese sauce, mustard or other topping of your choice. Or just by themselves.
- This is a freezer friendly recipe!
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 867
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 11115
- Fat: 16
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 156
- Protein: 22
- Cholesterol: 30