Here’s another EASY recipe that my family enjoys this time of year.
I still remember the first time I went searching for a recipe for apple crisp
a few years after I was married; long before the internet and blogs.
My husband and I spent a Saturday at a local apple farm picking apples one weekend.
When I went into work on Monday, a co-worker shared her recipe for apple crisp with me.
Twenty five years later, I still make the same apple crisp recipe.
- 6 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 4 Tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick); cut into pieces
- 1/2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans; if desired
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the apples and toss to combine.
- Add the butter and flour to a different bowl.
- Using a pastry blender, or two forks, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the sugar, oats and chopped nuts.
- Place the apples in a 8X10 baking dish, that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the flour/sugar/oats mixture evenly on top of the apples.
- Bake in a preheated 365 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the apples are cooked through.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- Feel free to add fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.