With the cost of dairy looking like it may skyrocket, you might want to start considering some alternatives like my Dairy Free Crock Pot Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe. I generally try to eat Vegan when possible for cholesterol reasons, but now using a dairy alternative like Soy, I will be saving money too! Soy milk is really easy to substitute into baking. I personally don’t notice any difference in flavor. I also like to use the vanilla soy milk in desserts for a bit more sweetness!
As for the cheese- I am a huge fan of Daiya Brand Vegan Cheese. It melts nicely and adds great flavor to recipes without the cholesterol of real cheese. Look for it in the health food section of your grocer or you can order it online.
Here is one of my favorite easy and healthy recipes that is Dairy Free!
Dairy Free Vegan Crock Pot Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe
Vegan Crock Pot Potatoes Au Gratin
- 2-3 Thinly Sliced Potatoes ( I used red because it’s what I had, but any will do)
- Sliced Onion (Optional)
- Approx. 2 Cups Soy Milk
- Approx. 1 Cup Daiya Vegan Cheddar Shreds
- 2 TBSP Whole Wheat Flour
- French Fried Onion Straws (Optional)
- Wash and thinly slice enough potatoes to fill your crock pot. (I used a small size crock pot)
- Layer potatoes and cheese (onion-optional) into crock pot until full.
- Whisk the Whole Wheat Flour into your Soy Milk. Add pepper to taste.
- Pour over Potatoes and Cheese until just covering potatoes.
- Place lid and cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-5 hours, until potatoes are tender.
- Serve and Enjoy! *Optional: French Fried Onion Straws are really great on top!
A side note: If you have any leftovers, these make fantastic mashed potatoes the next day. Just take a hand mixer to them until smooth!
- 25 Easy Crock Pot Recipes (foodiefriendsfridaydailydish.com)
- 33 More Easy Crock Pot Recipes (foodiefriendsfridaydailydish.com)
- Cheesy Potato Soup in Crock Pot (ssimplyme.com)
- New Year’s Eve – Potato, Leek and Honey Gratin (romancingthebee.com)
Awesome recipe! I’m a vegetarian myself, and it can be hard to come up with different meals. I’ll definitely give this one a try! I would love for you to share this post tonight at my Create & Share link party (7:00 PM MST)! Hope to see you there 😀 http://designsbymissmandee.blogspot.com/