When I made this salad, I had been craving curry for days. It has been over a week, and I am now still craving more of this dressing. I mean, it is perfect with the salad, but I could eat the dressing right by itself with a spoon. I guess I am just going to have to make it again…
The shrimp are super easy to prepare as they are just sauteed in a bit of olive oil and seasoned with curry powder and salt. I let mine cool a bit before topping the salad because I have this weird dislike of warm lettuce. Yes, that is right, no lettuce on my burgers, etc. In my opinion, lettuce is supposed to be a cold thing, but if you like warm meat on your lettuce, then you don’t have to wait for the shrimp to cool. It is not included in the recipe, but I really wanted to add avocado to this. Unfortunately, I went to the grocery store the day I wanted to make it, and all the avocados there were hard as rocks (not ripe). I didn’t include it, because I didn’t try it that way, but I really think avocado would be a great addition if you want to try it.
Curried Shrimp Salad
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 10 cups green leaf lettuce, torn or chopped
- 2 cups cilantro (You don't really even need to chop this, but you can if you want.)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a large skillet, saute shrimp in olive oil just until cooked through. Toss with salt and curry powder.
- Stir together all ingredients until well blended. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place lettuce on each plate.
- Top with cilantro, red bell pepper, tomato, and shrimp.
- Drizzle with dressing.
- Sprinkle with almonds.