This recipe for crispy buffalo tofu was inspired by my son. He loves buffalo wings, but has recently become a vegetarian. Over the holidays, when he was confronted with the opportunity to eat buffalo wings, he gave in and had just one. After he told me about the incident, I thought I could probably come up with a vegetarian version of buffalo wings for him. These were really good, and we didn’t even miss the chicken. In fact, it was really close, both in taste and texture. And, there were no bones involved which is a real plus in my opinion.
These are vegetarian, not vegan. But, they could easily be made vegan by using a milk alternative and vegan margarine. They are not really meant to be healthy even though they are vegetarian. They are fried, which in never really good for you, but if you want to avoid meat, and love buffalo flavored dishes, this is for you.Print
Crispy Buffalo Tofu
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- 1 14 oz. container extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup milk
- oil for frying (I used canola oil.)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (I used Frank’s.)
- Drain the water off the tofu from the package.
- Place the tofu on a plate lined with several layers of paper towels. Place a few more paper towels on top of the tofu and add something to weight it down. I put two more heavy plates on top. The idea is to squeeze the moisture out of it. Put the tofu, on the plate and still weighted, in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Remove tofu from the refrigerator. Slice into 1/4 inch slices, and cut slices in half.
- Combine the flour, salt, and poultry seasoning.
- Dip the tofu in the milk and then dredge in flour mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Fry tofu in the hot oil turning once, so that it browns on both sides.
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan.
- Stir in the hot sauce until well combined.
- Dip each piece of tofu in the hot sauce mixture.
- Serve with remaining hot sauce.