Featured Tip of the Day

Cleaning your Kitchen Sponge…Kitchen Tip

We’ve all been there.  You’re working in the kitchen and all of a sudden you notice a “smell.”  
You have no clue where it’s coming from until after some investigation you realize it’s your kitchen sponge.
 
 
 
What to do?  Throw it away?  NO!  
You can disinfect your kitchen sponge to get rid of smells, but more importantly, get rid of the germs that are causing the sponge to smell in the first place.
 
 
Did you know that your kitchen sponge can contain a dangerous mix of fecal bacteria, E. Coli and bacterial spores? 
Here is a kitchen tip that will keep your sponges smelling clean but more importantly will keep your sponges disinfected.
Placing your sponge in the microwave for just two to four minutes at full power will kill more than 99 percent of all living germs and bacteria.
I like to spray my sponge with vinegar or lemon and then place on a microwave-safe plate and place in the microwave and zap away.
THE SPONGE MUST BE WET or you could start a fire.  
 
 
Here is some more advice I found online:
  • Microwave only sponges or plastic scrubbers that do not contain steel or other metals.
  • Make sure the sponge or scrubber is wet, not dry.
  • Two minutes should kill most disease-causing germs.  
  • Be careful when removing the sponge…it will be very hot. 
Source:  WebMD
 
 
So why not get your sponge and zap it for a few minutes before you start preparing dinner tonight?  

I try to disinfect mine a few times a week.  

 

Share on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on LinkedInPrint this pageEmail this to someone

About the author

Lois

Originally from Queens, NY, Lois now calls northeastern PA home. You can find her blogging over at Walking on Sunshine where she shares a little of her life, but more importantly what’s for dinner at her house tonight. www.walkingonsunshinerecipes.com

Leave a Comment

1 Comment

  • What an easy idea to get rid of germs and bacteria living on the sponge! I use an infusion of citrus peels to clean all the surfaces in the kitchen! Vodka also works for disinfection! Thank you for your great tip! Greets!