This is a recipe I came up with when my daughter caught her first fish while fishing with her Uncle. I don’t usually eat much meat, but fish from time to time, but for your daughters first catch, you cook it up and make something special! I really didn’t know what to do with Trout, but I do not like “fishy” tasting fish, so I wanted to get it seasoned up good. Well, I was successful and everyone loved this recipe.
I didn’t use exact measurements because this is one that you need to adjust according to your tastes. We like our food strong and spicy, so if you don’t, you will need to tone it down a bit!
Chipotle Trout Cakes
- cooked trout –(I smoked mine on a pellet grill and seasoned with lime and chipotle chili seasoning, then stuffed with onion and cilantro)
- diced red onion
- chopped green onion
- chopped cilantro
- tortilla crumbs
- egg substitute (egg beaters)
- chipotle seasoning
- Mix all ingredients into a bowl except Panko Crumbs for crust. I didn’t include measurements…this is definately “a little of this, and a little of that” recipe. Adjust it according to taste. “Dough” should form a ball and hold together.
- Place the balls into a ziploc bag with the panko bread crumbs and toss to coat.
- In a frying pan with thin layer of oil at medium heat, place the crusted balls into pan and press down to form circle.
- Fry on each side about 3 minutes until golden brown. Turn and repeat.
- Remove from pan and place on paper towel and pat off excess oil.