There was a time when I was committed to eating vegetarian and vegan for health considerations. While we found the lifestyle didn’t work for us and we now are back to eating a meat-inclusive diet, there are some great recipes I experimented with that I still revisit when we want something different. This Chinese BBQ Sesame T0fu Recipe is one of those.
It substituted a BBQ Pork as an appetizer to a stir fry dinner. Great for a meatless Monday meal. The smokey flavors and firm texture of the tofu work great and it was very popular.
Give it a try and see for yourself!
Chinese BBQ Sesame Tofu Recipe
A vegetarian substitute for BBQ Pork
- 1 Block Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 C. Egg Beaters
- 1/2 C. Unsweetened Soy Milk
- 1/4 C. Beef Flavored Seasoning
- 1 C. Panko Crumbs
- 2/3 C. Vegan Imitation Bacon Bits
- 1/4 C. Sesame Seeds
- Drain and dry tofu, then slice in thin pieces (approx 1/4″ thick).
- Mix in shallow pan: egg beaters, soy milk and beef flavored seasoning.
- Place sliced tofu into egg mixture and allow to marinate for approximately 30 minutes.
- Mix together in shallow pan: panko crumbs, bacon bits and sesame seeds. crush the mixture to break into smaller crumbs.
- Place marinated tofu pieces in crumb mixture and turn until well coated.
- Fry in shallow canola oil until browned. Approximately 3 minutes each side.
- Serve with Hot Mustard and additional sesame seeds.
**Note: The longer you press the tofu to remove moisture, the firmer it will get when cooking. Also the longer you marinate the tofu, the stronger your flavoring will be.
Originally featured at my old blog, Busy Vegetarian Mom.