This is one of those busy day dinner recipes. Seems I have had quite a lot of those busy days lately. And, my daughter is home from college, and she loves cheese and chicken, so this was just perfect.
It is quite similar to some of the recipes out there that use canned soup, but this one does not. And, it really doesn’t take that much longer – maybe five minutes. For me, it is well worth the time to know what is in it. Even with making your own garlic cream sauce, you can easily have this on the table in under forty-five minutes!
- 6 thin sliced chicken breast cutlets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 Tbsps. butter
- 2 Tbsps. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz. CoJack cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chicken in a glass baking dish. (I had to use one large and one small.)
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour and salt until well blended with no lumps.
- Slowly, while stirring, add milk.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat, and continue cooking until thickened. It won't get as thick as a regular cream sauce, but will thicken additionally as it bakes over the chicken.
- Stir in garlic.
- Pour over chicken and top each piece with cheese.
- Bake until chicken has cooked through and cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown (about 30 minutes).