I am having the most difficult time with summer being over here. I mean, I do know that summer is not actually over until September, but my son has already gone back to school, and my daughter is leaving today to return to college, so for all intents and purposes, it is over. I live in Georgia, which usually means what seems like endless days of sun and ninety-plus temperatures, but not this year. We have had a much cooler wetter summer, and it kind of seems like it never happened. So, I have been making a list of all the foods I have not made this summer that I had planned to, and am going to attempt to get them made before September. In doing this, I have also looked back at what I have made that I really want to make again and this caprese grilled cheese is one of those things. I first made it kind of on a whim. I was alone for dinner and didn’t want to go to the store. With fresh tomatoes and basil in the garden just waiting to become my dinner this is what I came up with. And, it was incredibly easy and delicious!
Caprese Grilled Cheese
2 slices loaf bread – use your favorite
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
about 4 large slices tomato – enough to cover your bread
salt and pepper to taste
4 large basil leaves – again, enough to cover your bread
olive oil for frying
1. On one piece of bread layer 1/4 cup mozzarella, tomato (sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste), basil, and remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella.
2. Top with the other slice of bread.
3. Pour just enough olive oil in a small skillet to cover the bottom.
4. Heat over medium.
5. When oil is hot, carefully add sandwich to skillet. Cook until the cheese on the bottom piece of bread melts.
5. Using a spatula, carefully turn the sandwich over and cook on the other side until cheese melts.