I love using candied walnuts in my dishes and I love to just eat them as a snack. They can be very expensive to buy so I have started making them myself. I had found a recipe and thought the first time I did the recipe just as the recipe told me too but they didn’t turn out to be coated. The sugar crystallized and didn’t seem to coat the walnuts at all. Although it didn’t turn out the best, the mixture tasted wonderful and after I made my second batch and put them together I decided that I would always make two batches.
A wonderful candied walnut made with California Walnuts and Zulka Morena Pure Cane Sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup Zulka morena pure cane sugar
- 1 cup California Walnuts
- Heat pan on medium heat, add butter and melt.
- Add sugar and walnuts.
- Heat over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently especially at the end when sugar has melted. Cover all the walnuts with the sugary goodness.
- Once all walnuts are covered, quickly move candied walnuts onto parchment paper, separating them as best as you can.
- Let harden for about 5-7 minutes and then transfer to bowl and eat.
When I made this recipe the first time, I added the butter, sugar and walnuts together. I didn’t melt the butter first. I am not sure if the reason it didn’t work as well was because the pan wasn’t hot enough when I put everything together or what happened for sure. I found putting everything together at the beginning, the sugar didn’t melt but crystallized. Putting the two recipes together was so delightful.. Candied walnuts with small pieces of crystallized sugar.. YUM!
A couple of recipes that I have made with candied walnuts:
How would you eat your candied walnuts?