A Canadian Dessert ~Butter Tarts Squares
It’s Canada Day up Canada way on the first day of July.
And we’re shoutin’ “hooray” up Canada way, when the maple leaf flies high.
Stompin’ Tom Connors
If you are Canadian you are sure to know the words to this song and the artist Stompin’ Tom Connor and a favorite Canadian Dessert- Butter Tarts. Today July 1st is Canada Day and I am sure up Canada Way there will be lots of Canadian Desserts served at many festivities.
I decided to make a family favorite with a bit of a twist Butter Tarts Squares. The same goodness of a butter tart made in a square.. no making or rolling of pie crusts.
For instructions to make Maple Leaf Vase, head over to my blog at This and That.
A favorite Canadian Dessert that tastes like Butter Tarts without the hassle of making pie crust.
- 1 cup (250 ml) flour
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Zulka Morena Pure Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 2 tbps (30 ml) butter melted
- 1 cup (250 ml) packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 mls) raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).
- In mixing bowl add flour and sugar, cut in butter with pastry blender or use hands until mixture is crumbly.
- Press into 9 inch (2.5 L) square metal pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees (180 C) for 15 minutes.
- Filling: In medium bowl, mix butter with eggs.
- Add sugar, flour, baking powder, vanilla and mix well.
- Stir in raisins.
- Pour filling over cooked based.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in 350 degree (180C) oven until top springs back when touched lightly.
- Set aside and cool on baking rack.
- Cut into squares
- The original recipe also includes 1/2 cup (125 mls) chopped walnut. If you would like these in your squares add the walnuts when you add the raisins.
Have a wonderful and safe Canada Day!