This enchilada casserole really was not at all what I had planned to make for my budget meals post this week, but there I was at the grocery store and everything even remotely Mexican was on sale for Cinco de Mayo. And, two great budget tips are going meatless and buying on sale. This hit both of these. Honestly, I think this casserole would go over the budget I am giving myself for these posts normally, but with almost every ingredient was on sale, I decided to take advantage of it. And, it is still less expensive than most dinner entrees. If I had thought ahead and realized that all of this would be on sale, I could have cooked my beans in the slow cooker and made it even less expensive, but I didn’t, so canned refried bean had to do. I definitely have to share that with you too! If is the least expensive, easiest, and healthiest way to do beans, but that will have to be on another day.Print
- 1 28 oz. can enchilada sauce
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 16 oz. cans refried beans (I used fat free.) or 4 cups cooked, mashed pinto beans
- 1 4 oz. can chopped green chilis
- 1 4 oz. can sliced black olives
- 2 cups Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour a little of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ baking dish. You just want a little to coat the bottom and prevent the tortillas from sticking.
- Top with 4 tortillas. You may have to cut them apart and piece them in to cover the bottom evenly.
- Spread one can or two cups of the beans over the tortillas.
- Sprinkle half of the chilis and olives over the beans.
- Top with one 1/3 of the cheese.
- Drizzle 1/3 of the remaining enchilada sauce over the cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with last four tortillas.
- Drizzle with the last third of enchilada sauces. You many have to spread it a bit. You want all of the tortillas to be thinly coated with the sauce.
- Top with last third of cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 446
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 2161
- Fat: 15
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Unsaturated Fat: 6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 57
- Protein: 23
- Cholesterol: 34