One of my favorite spring-time vegetables to enjoy is Asparagus.
My neighbor recently brought over some fresh asparagus from his garden for my family to enjoy
and I quickly put together my favorite recipe that I originally found over on
Manila Spoon’s blog.
Asparagus Puff Pastry Tart
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- Asparagus; try to purchase a bunch of thin asparagus
- 1 red bell pepper
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Italian herb seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Unfold the defrosted puff pastry and place on a floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, press the lines out of the puff pastry and place on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Score the dough 1" away from the edge to create a "frame."
- Using a fork, prick the dough of the puff pastry so while cooking it doesn't puff up too much.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 10 - 12 minutes; watching it closely. You do not want the dough to get too brown as you will be baking it again.
- Toss the asparagus with some olive oil, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Grate the cheese; set aside.
- Slice the red pepper into rings; set aside.
- Once the puff pastry is slightly browned, remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle the top of the puff pastry with the cheese being careful to stay within the "frame" that you created.
- Arrange the asparagus in a pretty design on top of the cheese.
- Place the red pepper slices on top of the asparagus.
- With a pastry brush, use some of the olive oil mixture that the asparagus were marinading in and brush on top of the red pepper slices.
- Sprinkle on the Italian seasoning or your favorite combination of spices.
- Return the tray to the oven and continue to cook for another 12 - 15 minutes; watching carefully again.