Cucumbers are starting to come in from the garden and this Asian cucumber salad is a perfect thing to make with them! Growing up we had cucumbers for dinner almost every night in the summer, but they were usually just soaked in a diluted vinegar solution. My husband makes another cucumber salad that has a few more ingredients that he grew up eating, but again the taste is similar. Don’t get me wrong, both of those salads are delicious, but when you have cucumbers daily, sometimes you need a change. This salad has a taste twist that makes it a bit sweet and a bit hot with a touch of sesame oil. It is perfect when you are looking for a different way to use those cucumbers!
Asian Cucumber Salad
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsps. canola oil
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsps. sugar
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. crushed red pepper (depending on how hot you like it)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Place cucumbers in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients except peanuts.
- Pour over cucumbers.
- Just before serving, top with peanuts.
- You may serve this salad immediately, but it is even better if you refrigerate it and let the flavors develop for a few hours.