At my house we are trying not to eat sugar or at least keep it to a minimum due to my husband’s diabetes, but you know, sometimes you really want something sweet. These cookies do contain bittersweet chocolate chips, which of course, have sugar in them, but the cookie part is made of meringue and sucralose. Yes, I know all the sucralose is not exactly health food, but when you take the sugar and flour out of cookies, you end up with something pretty low in carbohydrates, which means less of a blood pressure spike.
For this recipe, I used egg whites out of the carton. With no egg yolk use on the horizon, I just hated to throw the yolks away. These cookies end up very delicate. They are easily broken or crumbled, so do be a little careful with them.Print
Almost Sugar Free Meringue Cookies
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 120
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 granulated sucralose (I used Splenda.)
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Line 2 large cookie sheet with parchment.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Whip together egg white with an electric mixer on medium until foamy.
- Increase speed to high and whip until soft peaks form.
- While whipping, slowly add sucralose and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in remaining ingredients.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop small mounds onto cookie sheet.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 15 minutes..
- Turn oven down to 200 degrees and continue to bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Remove from parchment and serve immediately