This oatmeal makes a great breakfast anytime, but it would especially make a lovely Thanksgiving or Christmas breakfast. It certainly tastes like holiday food, and even though it is oatmeal, it is a bit of a dietary splurge with a little more butter and sugar than I would add for everyday. In addition to the great flavor, it comes together in just a few minutes, cooks through the night, and you have a yummy hot breakfast ready to eat when you get up in the morning.
When you get up in the morning and look at it, don’t be upset. You will probably think it looks burnt. Just stir it up, and it will taste great. Trust me, it isn’t really burnt.
- 1 cup pecans, chopped and divided
- 1 1/2 cups oatmeal (use rolled oats or steel cut oats, not quick cooking)
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Toast pecans by cooking in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir frequently and watch carefully to avoid burning.
- Reserve 1/4 cup pecans for serving.
- Combine 3/4 cup pecans and remaining ingredients in the pot of a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours. (I program mine for 8, and then it turns itself on low.)
- To serve, top with reserved toasted pecans.