One of my favorite Italian dishes is Pasta with Vodka Sauce,
only I don’t drink alcohol and don’t like to cook with it even though I know the alcohol cooks off.
So I decided to experiment and make the sauce without the vodka to serve over pasta and it came out delicious.
Adding the heavy cream to the sauce…
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 can, 28 ounces, crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 3 teaspoons basil, or fresh if you have it on hand.
- Salt and pepper
- OPTIONAL: 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, a small pinch of red pepper flakes and I always add a teaspoon of sugar for every can of tomatoes I use in my sauce.
- Ziti or Rigatoni Pasta
- In a heavy pot, melt the butter.
- Add the garlic and cook until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and seasonings and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the seasonings.
- Stir in the heavy cream and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Boil the pasta according to package directions.
- Once the pasta is cooked and drained, add the sauce and top with additional Parmesan cheese.