Chai Latte (Homemade)
Chai what is it? The word means tea in many parts of the world so when we say Chai Tea, we are really saying tea – tea. It is usually made with black tea but you can also find it with green or white tea. It is made up of various spices ~cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper being the most common. Other spices that can be used are fennel seed, Anise Star, nutmeg and coriander. This tea is usually drank with milk and sweetener. The sweetener is to bring out the flavours of the spices.
This tea is drank hot in India but here in the Western Countries we now drink it over ice, in milkshakes and even with chocolate. The traditional tea is made with a heavy milk, but now it is drank will low fat milks, is decaffinated and low cal sweeteners are used. To me it is the perfect drink warm to take the chill away on these cold, snowy days.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp condensed milk
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/8 tsp anise
- 1 anise star
- 1/2 inch ginger sliced
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1/8 tsp black peppercorn
- 1/8 tsp whole cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup water
- 2 tea bags
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- In medium saucepan, add milk, condensed milk, whipping cream, spices and water.
- On medium heat bring to boil.
- Turn heat down to low, add teabags, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour mixture through wire strainer to remove solid parts into cups.
- Garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg if desired.
- If you would like a sweeter tea, add more condensed milk or other sweetener.
How do you like to drink your Chai?
For more recipes.
Recipes with Chai in them: