Soup has been so comforting to me lately.
Maybe it has something to do with old man winter on his way?
When I ran across a Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe on Pinterest
I just knew that I had to have it in my soup bowl.
The inspiration for this recipe came from Jamie Cooks it Up.
I had purchased this bag of basil gnocchi some time ago,
and I have been looking at it every time I open my pantry door.
Well, I decided to put this gnocchi into play.
I had to make some changes to the original recipe though.
I had to base my creation around basil.
This is what I did, and I hope you can follow my directions without any problems.
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery heart stalks, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 – 3 TBS olive oil
- 8 chicken tender strips, cooked (boiled)
- 7 c. broth (1 – 32 oz. carton veggie broth + enough water to equal 7 c.)
- 3 TBS chicken soup base
- 1 (16 oz.) basil gnocchi
- 4 c. heavy cream
- 4 TBS butter
- 1 c. fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. rosemary leaves
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil your chicken breast tender strips until done.
- Prepare all your veggies (onion, carrots, celery, and garlic). Heat a large pot over medium heat. Pour 2-3 TBS of olive oil into it. When the oil is hot add your prepared veggies, stirring occasionally for about 5-10 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Pour the broth into veggies and add the chicken soup base and spices. Add the cooked chicken (I tore my chicken into chunks), and bring to a boil. Boil until veggies are firm tender, maybe 8 minutes. Add the basil gnocchi. Let the soup come to a boil again and allow the gnocchi to cook. When they float to the top they are done. Add the chopped spinach shortly after adding the gnocchi.
- Pour in 4 c. heavy cream and add the 4 TBS butter. On medium heat, heat thoroughly.
- If you don’t like the large amount of soup this makes, you can easily cut the recipe in half.